NL Gerontological Nurses Association Bursary
The Newfoundland and Labrador Gerontological Nurses Association (NLGNA) promotes high standards of gerontological nursing practice, and promotes educational programs and the dissemination of gerontological research. The NLGNA will award one bursary annually to assist a Registered Nurse(s) to pursue studies that will enhance clinical practice in gerontological nursing (e.g., CNA Certification, post-basic nursing course, BN or Graduate studies in Nursing).
Application Deadline: April 15th (Spring Competition), October 15th (Fall Competition)
- If the number of applications received in the Spring competition is not sufficient to hold a review meeting, funding decisions may be deferred until the Fall competition. In this situation, applicants will not have to re-submit their application.
- There is only one bursary available. If the bursary is not awarded in the spring, applications will be accepted in the fall.
- Funding decisions for the Spring competition will be made in early-mid May. The Fall funding decisions will be made in mid-late November.
- Applicants will be notified whether or not their application is successful. Notifications will be sent via email using the address provided in your application. Please be sure to provide an email address that you check regularly.
- If your application is successful, the Trust will reimburse the amount of your bursary after you submit the required documentation.
- Bursary amounts may be adjusted based on the confirmation of your expenses.
- Due to an increase in the number applications, we are no longer able to respond to individual requests for information regarding the status of an application.
Applications are accepted from Registered Nurses who:
- are current members of the NLGNA,
- are employed in nursing in NL,
- are enrolled in a program of study that is relevant to the enhancement of nursing care of gerontological clients,
- resided in NL for a minimum of 3 years prior to application for this bursary,
- did not receive a Trust Continuing Education Bursary in the previous year,
- are members in good standing with CRNNL, and
- are members of the Newfoundland & Labrador Registered Nurses' Education & Research Trust
- All CRNNL registrants with a current practicing license are members of the Trust. Those with a current non-practicing membership can become members of the Trust by paying the $10 Trust membership fee.
- Preference will be given to applications from current practicing members.
How to Apply
Please review the Application Requirements Document before you begin the application. The requirements for supporting documentation are outlined in the document.
Applications must be completed using the NL Gerontological Nurses Association Bursary Application Form.
Applications must be submitted by the appropriate application deadline.
Late applications will not be considered.
You will be required to provide additional documentation to support your application. The Application Requirements Document includes a checklist of supporting documentation that must be submitted in order for your application to be considered complete.
All supporting documentation must be received at CRNNL House by the application deadline.
Supporting documentation can be mailed to:
Newfoundland & Labrador Registered Nurses' Education & Research Trust
1033 Topsail Road
Mount Pearl, NL A1N 5E9
The Trust Awards Committee will rank the applicants on the basis of the following criteria (in order):
- personal statement,
- financial need (as determined by whether the applicant has received funding from other sources; personal financial information is not used).
Please see the Tips & FAQs page for answers to frequently asked questions and advice on completing your application. If the information you require is not listed there, please use the Online Contact Form to send us your question.