Florrie Penney Continuing Education Bursary
One continuing education bursary is awarded annually to a Registered Nurse who exemplifies the professional attributes of Florrie Penney, RN. The purpose of the bursary is to assist nurses with the self-paid costs incurred to participate in a continuing education activity that will enhance their nursing practice. In accordance with the family's wishes, preference will be given to RNs working in rehabilitation, neurology or neurosurgery.
Application Deadline: April 15th (Spring Competition), October 15th (Fall Competition)
- If the number of applications received in the Spring competition is not sufficient to hold a review meeting, funding decisions may be deferred until the Fall competition. In this situation, applicants will not have to re-submit their application.
- There is only one bursary awarded per year. If it is not awarded during the spring competition, applications for academic programs and other CE activities will be accepted for the fall funding competition.
- Funding decisions for the Spring competition will be made in early-mid May. The Fall funding decisions will be made in mid-late November.
- Applicants will be notified whether or not their application. Notifications will be sent via email using the address provided in your application. Please be sure to provide an email address that you check regularly.
- If your application is successful, the Trust will reimburse the amount of your bursary after you submit the required documentation.
- Bursary amounts may be adjusted based on the confirmation of your expenses.
- Due to an increase in the number applications, we are no longer able to respond to individual requests for information regarding the status of an application.
Applications are accepted from Registered Nurses who:
- demonstrate the characteristics of Florrie Penney, RN
- patient-focused care,
- professional bedside manner,
- caring and compassionate,
- dedication to patients, and
- motivates patients to "never give up" and have courage to keep going and overcome obstacles.
- have not received a Trust award in the past 2 years,
- are members in good standing with CRNNL, and
- are members of the Trust.
- Applications are accepted from RNs in any area of practice. However, preference will be given to applicants practicing in rehabilitation, neurology or neurosurgery.
- All CRNNL registrants with a current practicing license are members of the Trust. Those with a current non-practicing membership can become members of the Trust by paying the $10 Trust membership fee.
- Preference will be given to applications from current practicing members.
How to Apply
Please review the Application Requirements Document before you begin the application. The requirements for supporting documentation are outlined in the document. Applications must be completed using the Florrie Penney Continuing Education Bursary Application Form
Late applications will not be considered.
If your application is successful you will be required to provide additional documentation before the Trust will release your funds (e.g., proof of enrollment, proof of conference attendance, copy of receipts, etc.). Additional documentation requirements will be outlined in the notification email you receive from the Trust. Please ensure you retain copies of relevant documents.
Please see the Tips & FAQs page for answers to frequently asked questions and advice on completing your application. If the information you require is not listed there, please use the Online Contact Form to send us your question.