One continuing education bursary is awarded annually to a Registered Nurse who exemplifies the professional attributes of Nancy Llewellyn RN and who intends to pursue a career in pediatric nursing. The purpose of the bursary is to assist nurses currently working in pediatrics to pursue a continuing education activity directly related to their practice, teaching, and/or management role. Programs may include a BN or MN program, conference, management course or certification program.
Application Deadline: October 15
Note: Due to the impact of COVID-19 restrictions, the continuing education bursary criteria have been modified for the Fall competition such that the requirement that activities/events occur from July to December has been removed. Applications will be accepted for CE activities/events completed in 2021.
- There is only one bursary awarded per year. If it is not awarded during the spring competition, applications for academic programs (e.g., BN, MN) and other CE activities will be accepted for the fall funding competition.
- Funding decisions for the Spring competition will be made in early-mid May. The Fall funding decisions will be made in mid-late November.
- Applicants will be notified whether or not their application is successful. Notifications will be sent via email using the address provided in your application. Please be sure to provide an email address that you check regularly.
- If your application is successful, the Trust will reimburse the amount of your bursary after you submit the required documentation.
- Bursary amounts may be adjusted based on the confirmation of your expenses.
- Due to an increase in the number applications, we are no longer able to respond to individual requests for information regarding the status of an application.
Applications are accepted from Registered Nurses who:
- exemplify the characteristics of Nancy Llewellyn, RN
- caring and dedicated to nursing,
- outgoing personality and demonstrates and enthusiasm and joy for life,
- sensitive to the needs of children and especially understands their fears,
- demonstrates a positive attitude towards a child's ability to heal and overcome illness, and
- demonstrates verbally and non-verbally to children and their families gentleness, kindness and compassion.
- have worked in pediatrics for at least 1 year and intend to pursue a career in pediatric nursing in NL,
- have not received a Trust award in the past 2 years
- are members in good standing with CRNNL, and
- are members of the Newfoundland & Labrador Registered Nurses' Education & Research Trust.
- All CRNNL registrants with a current practicing license are members of the Trust. CRNNL registrants with a current non-practicing membership can become members of the Trust by paying the $10 Trust membership fee.
- Preference will be given to applications from current practicing members.
How to Apply
Please review the Application Requirements Document before you begin the application. The requirements for supporting documentation are outlined in the document.
Applications must be completed using the Online Application Form.
Late applications will not be considered.
You will be required to provide additional documentation to support your application. The Application Requirements Document includes a checklist of supporting documentation that must be submitted in order for your application to be considered complete.
All supporting documentation must be received at CRNNL House by the application deadline.
Supporting Documentation can be mailed to:
Newfoundland & Labrador Registered Nurses' Education & Research Trust
55 Military Road
St. John's, NL
The Trust Awards Committee will rank the applicants on the basis of the following criteria (in order):
- personal statement,
- financial need (as determined by whether the applicant has received funding from other sources; personal financial information is not used).
Please see the Tips & FAQs page for answers to frequently asked questions and advice on completing your application. If the information you require is not listed there, please use the Online Contact Form to send us your question.